Adaptive Activities and Recreation at Cedarcrest
At Cedarcrest, we work diligently to provide children and youth with the opportunity to relax and have fun while also strengthening basic motor skills, ensuring intellectual and sensory stimulation, and fostering communication and socialization through adaptive activities and recreation.
Activities And Recreation
Children can participate with their peers in a range of recreation and leisure opportunities indoors and outside on our beautiful grounds.
Our activities are carefully planned to provide a balance of sensory input. Some activities are enjoyed by all the children and young adults, while others may address the specialized needs of small groups or individuals. We offer children and youth an opportunity to relax and have fun while also strengthening basic motor skills, ensuring intellectual and sensory stimulation, and fostering communication and socialization.
Field trips enable children and youth at Cedarcrest to attend community events and enjoy many of the same activities as their peers. These trips are a high priority at Cedarcrest and a vital way to maintain community engagement. Recent trips include:
- Attending a Keene Swamp Bats game
- Playing at an indoor trampoline park
- Cheering for runners at the Clarence Demar Marathon
- Experiencing the Disney Animation Immersive Experience show
- Learning about aquatic animals at the Mystic Aquarium
- Participating in NH Dance Institute’s Adaptive Dance REACH! program
- Going to the movies
Cedarcrest offers a universally accessible playground and paved pathways to enjoy during pleasant weather. Our state-of-the-art sensory room offers a balance of sensory input options. Other amenities include:
- Adaptive playground
- Adaptive wheelchair swing
- Wheelchair-accessible vans for field trips
- Wii console and games
- Large pavilion for shaded outdoor adaptive activities
- Library of books, videos, and music
- Multi-purpose room for group activities
- Large skylit atrium for concerts, movies, and performances
- Group play accessories for bowling, beachball volleyball, dance parties, musical instruments, arts and crafts, scavenger hunts, parachute play, etc.
- Extensive walkways and pathways
Community & Special Events
At Cedarcrest, there is a focus on outside adaptive activities, special events, and recreation in the community. All that happens here, the youth we serve, a team that cares, and the care that is taken make Cedarcrest the fun and welcoming place it is. Just a few popular events include:
Annual Walk & Roll
“My daughter has been a resident at Cedarcrest since 2010. It is a great facility with a very caring staff that is like family. What I particularly like is the way they involve the children with hands on activities and invite their families to participate in wonderful events together. Their love of the children is apparent. They help them to achieve their very best and for that I am extremely grateful!”